“Daring ideas are like chessmen moved forward; they may be beaten, but they may start a winning game“
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle said, ‘when you take off the impossible, whatever you are left with, however improbable, must be the truth.’
Do you think that you can come up with a product that is not really a product but could be a product? Think you can market it?
More importantly, do you think you can sell it?
Welcome to i-NNOVO, an intra-DoMS marketing competition.
The basic premise:
- Form a group of two.
- Come up with ideas/products to shake the industry(It could be related to anything from sports to FMCG, daily need to special need, )
Sounds simple enough, no?
So what do you do?
1) Identify one such need.
3) Come up with a product to satisfy this need.
4) Design this.
5) Sell this.
There will be three rounds in the competition (a round every week)
Round 1 – Ideation
1) Get an idea. (no, not the Abhishek Bachchan variety)
2) Submit a 100-200 word abstract of the idea (no strict word limit. However, don’t become Shakespeare. Please.)
3) Create a two slide presentation on the idea.
All the teams will make a 2-3 minute presentation on their idea in the next MARKIIT session (20th March 2012). There will be NO CROSS QUESTIONING.
The aim of this is just to make the teams aware of the “competition” so that they can tweak/improve their ideas. Of course, if they believe they are going to win hands down, they can even downgrade their ideas. No problem.
Round 2 – The Product
1) Design the product.( sketch it, use Photoshop or even a scribbled drawing like a 3 year old would do)
2) Showcase it. Let people know what you Jobs’ and Bezos’ were planning all this while.
Beware: There will be blood. Questions allowed in this round. Other teams can decide to slaughter/manslaughter/kill/pardon you. You can do the same too.
Organizer’s warning: if you fellows have some sort of mutual understanding amongst yourselves and we get an inkling of this, the man slaughtering/slaughtering/killing will be done by the organizers. You’re welcome.
Round 3 – THE FINAL DESTINATION
1) A full presentation
2) A small write up
3) Anything else that you wish to showcase (a special pack that you designed/ a label/ wrapper etc)
This will be judged by our esteemed faculty and your peers. Again, no “I’ll scratch your back and you scratch mine” here. please. Well, if that is indeed there, then we can’t really help it but pliss to not be doing.
The products will be judged on the basis of
- Uniqueness and Creativity of the product *
- Benefits to the customer
- Potential Market
*- MOST IMPORTANT
P.S- This product you design can later be used in b-plan B-School competitions so why not take a chance?
Again, just to emphasize the point, look at the Conan Doyle quote again. Push the impossible. Make it improbable. Get an idea that seems out of this world. And of any other world that you know. And all the worlds you don’t know.
The wackier the idea, the more difficult it is to convince people. However, therein lays the challenge. Get the idea. Make it work. Sell it. Convince ‘em all. Glory!